Coalville's resignation - does it mean we will get a reprieve?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: ClubAdmin, Nick Sopowski

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coalville's resignation - does it mean we will get a reprieve?

Post by Chris_N »

I've been asked this question a few times since the news broke on Friday. My gut answer so far has been "no".

That is still my opinion, but Roy did point out the FA rulings for this - and the criteria is potentially different because the new League allocations have already been published. The one bit that does raise some thoughts as to how it will pan out:

(c) Where a vacancy occurs at Step 3 and 4 after the allocations for the following season have been published and prior to the holding of the League’s AGM. The vacancy created shall be dealt with at the sole discretion of the Committee in order to minimise disruption.

The League AGM is on Thursday 13th June.

Normally reprieves at end of season go to the teams at that Step with the best playing records. No relegated Step 3 side has yet received a reprieve. If you look at the four Step 3 divisions, we rank third out of the relegated teams for best playing records. We are bettered by Beaconsfield Town and Hayes and Yeading United in the Southern Premier South. We are better than all of the Northern Premier and Isthmian League relegated teams.

So my view? Taking into account the "minimising disruption", I reckon that the reprieve will be offered to Beaconsfield Town, provided that they go into Southern Premier Central. Why not? They're in Division One Central, have the best playing record of the relegated teams and geographically are no worse placed to play in the Midlands than to have to travel to the likes of Plymouth Parkway, Tiverton Town or Merthyr Town. Slap bang on the M40 with easy access to the Midlands. This would then mean that there would be no need to shift another team from South to Central, which would be necessary if Hayes & Yeading were offered the reprieve - the team then "shifted" might then appeal which would hold the whole process up further.

At the other end of the table, if the reprieve is offered to one of the teams placed in Division One Central, there's only one candidate for a reprieve from the Step 4 relegated teams.....Kempston Rovers. That one's a no brainer.

I'm not getting my hopes up or clutching at straws, I'm now geared for life at Step 4. What will be will be.

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Coalville's resignation - does it mean we will get a reprieve?

Post by Brian »

It seems it does :thumbsup:
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

Superb news. That step 4 constitution eas very uninspiring.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Didnt disagree with anything in Chris's logic as such but as a Dulwich fan pointed out to me. Once they had produced the projected leagues we was always a fav to get a reprieve.

Great news but feel for the supporters of two clubs who have hit the wall this season.
Spooks
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Spooks »

Brilliant news. 👏👏👏
Mr Refreshment
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mr Refreshment »

OMG!
Which teams will we playing?
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Mr Refreshment wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:43 pm OMG!
Which teams will we playing?
Attachments
Screenshot_20240528_182418_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20240528_182418_Drive.jpg (52.52 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Mr Refreshment
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mr Refreshment »

Will this affect the ticket prices that have been announced?
Brian Parker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian Parker »

The following sentance appears in the club's statement:

"We are pleased to remain at Step 3 as this keeps us performing at a level which will keep us on track with the objectives in our strategy for the next 4 years."

Please can we have an explanation of just what these onjectives are?
KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH »

Actually whilst it would be good to know the strategy I would fully understand if the Management Committee wish to keep it to themselves to avoid adding extra pressure to the situation. Should we know then if, at any time, the club struggle to meet their expectations the fans, understandably, would want to know why & what the clubs plans would be to rectify it. For myself I'm happy to know they have a 4 year plan. In the past it has felt as if they take it season by season & hope for the best. Having said that if it was my plan I would want to have a stable management team & playing staff in place to secure top half of the table finishes for the first 2 years & then push for promotion in the 3rd year. If successful then make sure of securing our place in year 4 whilst all the time maintaining good financial security, no daft unsustainable budgets. I see Banbury & Bishop Stortford are back in step 3 again after only a couple seasons. That wouldn't be in my plan. It would be good if we could do a Hemel & stay up, a tough task I know, but they've managed it.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic