Francis Shillitoe: The Foxholes Myth

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: ClubAdmin, Nick Sopowski

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Francis Shillitoe: The Foxholes Myth

Post by anthony.brown »

Francis Shillitoe was one of the founding members of the first Hitchin Football Club and is described on our website thus:

Francis Shillitoe was Hitchin's first captain. He was a keen rower and there is evidence that he was a coroner and later lived in Pirton Road at Foxholes.

Born in 1848, census records show:
1851 Living in Sun Street, Hitchin
1861 Living in Tilehouse Street, Hitchin (Schoolboy)
1871 Living in Tilehouse Street, Hitchin (Attorney)
1881 Living in West Lane, Hitchin (Solicitor and Coroner)
1891-1924 Lived in 2, Paynes Park, Hitchin (Solicitor and Coroner)
No Hitchin born historian would place Francis Shillitoe at Foxholes, which was the home of the Lucas family for much of the 19th century.

His description on our website as a keen rower is damning him with faint praise. When he died the local papers said that 'in his younger days he was prominent athlete, some describing him as a foremost athlete, distinguishing himself in cycling, swimming and in football' and 'at one period he played for the Wanderers F.C. which may be compared to the present (1924) Corinthians'.
He was a rower. But he was so much more, and should be given the proper respect. He was the local coroner for over 40 years, no necessity to say 'there is evidence that'.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Francis Shillitoe: The Foxholes Myth

Post by anthony.brown »

As the website is still showing the myth, I assume the Club have not checked the 'evidence'. I give up.
CanaryHatter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CanaryHatter »

Morning Anthony,

Personally I love the historical content you share on the forum - you're undoubtably the closest we have to a Hitchin Town FC historian. Please don't be disheartened that I've not updated the website - it's purely a time thing.

The history pages of the website actually need a huge overhaul. Is this something you'd be happy to support with?

Thanks,
Stew
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Hi Stew
Sorry for the strop! Happy to help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic